If terms like "activities of daily living," and "geriatric care manager" are new to you; or if you don’t know the difference between nursing homes, assisted living communities, continuing care communities and rehabilitation centers, then you’ve come to the right place. Our assisted living guide will quickly familiarize you with the basics of senior living so that you can make an informed decision for your loved one.
The ABCs of Assisted Living Communities
Assisted living communities are a fairly recent addition to senior care in the U.S. Since the early 1990s, they have provided the elderly with a much-needed alternative to nursing home life. In assisted living homes, senior citizens are free to remain in their preferred environment, receiving different levels of care and support, often until the end of their lives. This concept of "aging in place" is expected to provide baby boomers with preferable social environments and autonomy, along with necessary living adaptations, as they age.
To read more, see the following articles in our assisted living guide:
- Finding the Right Level of Care
- Nursing Homes vs. Assisted Living Facilities
- Assisted Living Communities vs. Active Living
- Aging in Place – Assisted Living inside a CCRC
To learn the basics of senior care, terminology and credentialing, see these helpful articles:
Why Use this Assisted Living Guide?
Taking the step into an assisted living situation can be overwhelming for the person needing care as well as the whole family. You want to find a community that that will be comfortable and stimulating for your loved one, but that also takes care of her needs and values her contributions to the home. Balancing your desire for her well-being with details like budgets, location and long-term planning can be a monumental task, especially if you are in a crisis situation and have a limited amount of time in which to decide. That’s where our quick and easy assisted living guide comes in.
With the right information and help, we know you can turn this difficult decision into one of the best choices you ever make. Once you are familiar with the terminology in our glossary, and you have an idea of the type of environment your loved one will enjoy, fill out the search form to browse thousands of assisted living homes! Or let us do the leg work for you, call the toll-free number at the top of this page to speak to a professional elder care advisor about appropriate assisted living communities in your area.
Need more information? Please contact us with article suggestions, or see our Family Resources section for help going through the transition with your loved one.
Guide to Assisted Living
Articles About Assisted Living
- Assisted Living Guide Home
- Levels of Senior Care
- Aging in Place
- Assisted Living Licensing
- Home Assisted Living vs. Assisted Living Centers
- Nursing Homes vs. Assisted Living Homes
- Assisted Living Glossary of Terms
- Christian and Catholic Assisted Living
- Residential Assisted Living
- Veterans Assisted Living
- Finding Affordable Senior Housing
- Links to Elder Care Resources
Inside Assisted Living
- Insited Assisted Living Main Page
- A Typical Daily Schedule at Assisted Living Facilities
- How Assisted Living Facilities Use Care Plans
- The Layout at Typical Assisted Living Facilities
- Receiving Occupational Therapy in Assisted Living Facilities
- Typical OT Visits in Assisted Living Facilities
- Interview: Occupational Therapy in Assisted Living Facilities
- Interview: Coordinating Care in Assisted Living Facilities